Monday, March 17, 2014

Vulnerability

I travel a lot. One of my favorite things about traveling is the different people I meet from all over. I meet them on planes, trains, buses, subways, walking, hiking, running, you name it. I love meeting and hearing the stories  of humanity, how each person got to where they are now. It's amazing to me how frequently in getting to know people, both young and old alike, how many have shared with me about various situations that happened in their life that they look back on and say "that was a defining time in my life". Many times it was during an extreme hardship, sometimes a very painful, uncomfortable, and stretching time. "I wouldn't want to go through that again, but I'm grateful for it now and I'm better and stronger because of it!" How many times I've heard that. And yet, when we are in those intense, painful and dark moments how rarely do we see that part of it--or if we do, are too numb to acknowledge the good.

I say all of this, because while I'm not one to share very personal stuff with the world, I recognize that often times we can feel very alone and and like no one cares or understands. And sometimes when we are going through rough times we need to know that someone has been there. We need to hear their stories and be encouraged by them. We need to see their hearts and the beauty of vulnerability that connects humanity from the dawn of time.

3 weeks ago, I had an injury that shook me to the core, for many reasons. It has challenged me physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally in a million ways. Maybe it was because that was the 'icing on an already really big cake" so to speak--meaning there was already a lot I had been going through in other areas of my life, maybe it was because of the nature of the injury that impacted my daily life, maybe it was simply meant to shake me up...I don't know, but throughout these painful days I have kept a notebook of what I was thinking/feeling and the battles that went on to keep fighting, to not give up on the good in life, so I'm going to share some of those entries. 

This is one part of my story. One of my--what I'm quite certain will be,  "defining moments". A story that's not yet done. That is, in many ways, still in the vulnerable painful stages. Why would I, someone who is so private about the painful parts of my life share? Because I believe that we are here for a purpose. I believe if we have something that can help someone, then we have an obligation to do so. I believe that love is a choice. So if in sharing this, these moments, this journey, if it helps even one person, then I have succeeded and it's worth it. I'm here to Live Love. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. I have been so blessed by many of you who have shared your stories, your defining moments, and reminded me that I'm not alone in this; for that I am incredibly grateful!

So hopefully, in sharing these challenging moments we can all help each other grow and be encouraged and come out better, strong, more loving, and more assured that there is a purpose to everything and that God has something beautiful He is going to bring out of every hardship in our lives.

Be encouraged! Be blessed! And Live Love! Let's make it an awesome day!


No comments:

Post a Comment